Sunday, February 10, 2013

Timing

The day after my HSG I went back to work.  I was sad and confused and didn't know how we would afford to move forward.  And then I received a call from a recruiter I had spoken with.  I had agreed to do a single job interview a few weeks before.  I figured it wouldn't hurt to have options.

The firm liked me.  My recruiter called to tell me they were offering me a job.  At triple my public service salary.  And their insurance plan covered infertility diagnosis (but not treatment). I knew I would miss my current job - it didn't pay well but I loved it and it was fulfilling.  I knew the firm job would be boring and stressful and I would not enjoy it much.

But I had to make the decision that would be best for my future family.  What choice did I have?  This job opportunity offered me the chance to do whatever is necessary to have children.  By now, it was July of 2012.  We had been trying for almost a year, and just told I needed surgery.

So I gave my notice.  My start date at the new job was in August and we decided to schedule my surgery for January.  It gave us a few more months to try and me a few months to settle into the new job.

We weren't very optimistic at this point.  Dr. B told us that if there was a blockage, the fluid in the fallopian tube could be pushed back into my uterus.  That fluid is apparently toxic to embryos and so even if I ovulated from the right side, any pregnancy might be doomed from the start thanks to my weird left tube.  So we tried, half-heartedly, until the surgery.

Every month I tried not to get my hopes up.  Every month I still greeted my period with profound sadness.  But I looked forward to the surgery, hopeful we would have answers afterwards.

No comments:

Post a Comment