Monday, February 11, 2013

My Fault

Before my surgery, my husband insisted on calling Dr. B and asking if he should get tested a second time.  He wanted to make sure, before I went through surgery.  A sweet gesture, right?

They used the word "spectacular."  As in, with semen analysis results as "spectacular" as yours, there's no reason to retest.  Which is great.  Really, it is.

Except.  Except that means the blame for "our" infertility falls squarely on me.  My body.  My eggs?  My tubes?  My uterus?  We don't really know but we know it's not him.  

And he's loving and supportive and always acts like we're in this together.  But I know it's my body that isn't cooperating.  That if he had married someone else, someone younger, perhaps he, at least wouldn't have to go through this stress.

I couldn't keep a positive attitude without him.  I wouldn't go through this with anyone else but him.  But in a fundamental way, he doesn't completely understand what I'm going through and I don't understand what he's going through. 

My body betrayed me.  It promised fertility, every month without fail.  And then it let me down.  His functions just fine and dandy but he married an infertile woman.  It leads us to the same place but from different perspectives.


No comments:

Post a Comment