Sunday, February 10, 2013

Explaining My Surgery

So I realized I didn't really talk about what my surgery was.  I had a laproscopy of my ovaries/tubes and a hysteroscopy of my uterus to look at the polyp.  So I have three incisions - two on each side right above where I imagine my ovaries are and a third in my bellybutton (they put the camera in there!).  The bellybutton one hurts and itches the mosts and I have a weird bruise around it.

The pain has not been too bad.  When I first woke up, I had some pretty bad crampy pain but told the nurse and she put something in my IV and it made me happy/fuzzy.  Since then I've had intermittent cramping pain, some abdominal soreness, and bleeding.  The percocet and vicodin Dr. B gave me have managed it quite well.

Incidentally, discussing surgery like this is always touchy.  Of course, I had to tell my work that I would be taking a couple days off for surgery.  And naturally, they asked what for? Are you ok?  Anything major?  And what do you say?  I'm not in the habit of telling everyone I'm infertile.  Unlike at the beginning, I don't want to tell people we're trying to conceive.  We did that in the beginning, which leads to that month after month of no news, getting pitying looks, and having people get all speculative every time I felt a little under the weather.

Plus - there's the added do I want people at work to know I'm trying to have a baby.  As an attorney, taking maternity leave - while not discouraged or anything - is not exactly a selling point for promotion.  It worries me for people to know I want to have kids and take leave because if they make cuts and I'm not pregnant yet ... well, maybe I'm paranoid but it concerns me.

So here's how I left it:  the woman I work most closely with knows what my surgery is all about.  I like her a lot and think I can trust her to keep my confidence.  The man who is the managing partner of my office does not, unless someone has told him, know the details.  When he asked, I said I was having minor abdominal surgery and nothing life-threatening.  It's possible he read into it but oh well.


No comments:

Post a Comment