Sunday, February 10, 2013

Surgery - Finally!

Today, I am recovering from surgery on Friday.  It's the best and the worst. It's over but I'm still not sure we have the answers we need.  But first thing's first - the surgery itself.

Before surgery, Dr. B came to talk to me and scared the crap out of me.  He said he'd reviewed my test results again and thought there was a reasonable chance he'd have to remove my left tube and a very remote chance he'd have to remove both.  I was so scared.  I knew it was a possibility - that tubes that are blocked are toxic to embryos.  I didn't want to be at high risk of ectopic pregnancy - getting pregnant finally and having it be ectopic - I can't imagine the devastation.  But it just became so real as I lay there on the gurney being told when I woke up I might only have one tube.  Or even none.  Ultimately, I trusted Dr. B.  I knew he would do whatever was best for my fertility.

When I woke up the first thing I wanted - needed - to know was whether I still had tubes.  Good news - I did!  Both of them!  Dr. B told me the surgery couldn't have gone better.  There was some scarring, some endometriosis, but he cleaned it up.  I was pretty fuzzy but definitely remember that.  Dr. B said we would talk more about the next steps at post-op appointment since I wouldn't really remember everything right then.  But I do.

Dr. B told Paul the apparently blocked tube on the HSG was a "false positive."  My ovaries sit lower than usual and I guess it made it look like it might be blocked.  Which is good news - I think.

At home afterwards, I begin to have mixed emotions.  If the blockage was a false positive, did I just have unnecessary surgery?  I mean, I know there was no way to know it wasn't really blocked without surgery, but how could the surgery fix my fertility if it turns out my tube wasn't blocked at all.

I know I will get more information at my next appointment.  I am happy the surgery went well.  But I wonder if we are back in the same place we were before.  No definitive reason why I'm not pregnant.  Did the surgery fix anything?  Do we try without further intervention for awhile longer?  I want to move forward.   I want to be pregnant.  I'm tired of waiting.

No comments:

Post a Comment